Basic geometry and measurement
- Converting units: metric distance
- Converting units: centimeters to meters
- Convert units (metrics)
- Metric units of mass review (g and kg)
- Metric units of length review (mm, cm, m, & km)
- Metric units of volume review (L and mL)
- U.S. customary and metric units
Review the size of liters and milliliters and how to convert between the two. Then, try some practice problems.
Metric units of volume
Volume measures capacity. For example, the volume of a bowl is the amount of space inside the bowl or how much water, for example it would take to fill the bowl.
In the metric system of measurement, the most common units of volume are milliliters and liters.
How big is a milliliter?
A single raindrop contains about milliliter of liquid:
How big is a liter?
This bottle contains about liter of liquid:
A bottle of liquid.
Want to learn more about metric units of volume? Check out this video.
Identify the most reasonable unit to measure the volume of a neighborhood swimming pool.
Want to try more problems like this? Check out this exercise,
Converting liters to milliliters
To convert to we multiply the number of by .
Converting milliliters to liters
To convert to we divide the number of by .
Want to join the conversation?
- why is ml is smaller then l(5 votes)
- In the metric system, the prefix m stands for “milli”, which means “1/1,000 of”. So 1 ml (milliliter) is only 1/1,000 of 1 l (liter). Therefore, 1 ml is smaller than 1 l.(23 votes)
- how many liters are there in 10.000(5 votes)
- This is kind of a weird question ok. If numbers can go infinite, like for example, 10,100,1000... and so on forever. And we can name them like, ten, hundreds, thousands like that. Then if it kept going. How are we going to name them infinitely?(9 votes)
- United States customary units form a system of measurement units commonly used in the United States and U.S. territories since being standardized and adopted in 1832. The United States customary system developed from English units which were in use in the British Empire before the U.S. became an independent country.(8 votes)
- So why is mL writen with a uppercase L?
Sorry if I it says it and I looked over it. :P(4 votes)
- It has an uppercase L because Liter is spelt with an uppercase L when abbriviated and milliliter has liter in it. Therefore, it is mL.(4 votes)
- how much is a mega liter(5 votes)
- Re: Converting measurement. I see questions that can be answered if you know KHDUDCM (king henry story) but where can you find divide or multiply by a 1000 each time lesson please? I do not mind which grade it is as I am pretty good with the King henry story now but have just discovered i dont understand the maths behind it really.
45 mL= 1000 45
Thanks in advance for your time!(5 votes)
- Pounds to Kilograms: 1 kg = 2.2 lb.
Gallons to Liters: 1 gal = 3.785 L.
Feet to Meters: 1 foot = 0.305 m.
Miles to Kilometers: 1 mi = 1.61 km.
Cups to Milliliters: 1 c = 240 mL.
Inches to Centimeters: 1 in = 2.54 cm.
Ounces to Grams: 1 oz = 28.3 g.(5 votes)
- Length: Millimeter (mm), Decimeter (dm), Centimeter (cm), Meter (m), and Kilometer (km) are used to measure how long or wide or tall an object is. Examples include measuring the thickness or length of debit card, length of cloth, or distance between two cities.(5 votes)