Review the opposites of numbers, and try some practice problems.
What is the opposite of a number?
The opposite of a number is the number on the other side of on the number line, and the same distance from .
is the opposite of .
Ways to write the opposite of a number
We can write the opposite of a number using a negative sign.
The opposite of can be written .
Want to learn more about number opposites? Check out this video.
Want to join the conversation?
- Can there be negative fractions(21 votes)
- so that also means that the opposite of 0 is 0(16 votes)
- Yes. 0 is neither positive nor negative; the number is "neutral". So, the opposite of the number 0 is simply 0.(3 votes)
- what is the opposite of 657854093221(8 votes)
- It is so strange how "0" doesn't have an opposite like -0(12 votes)
- That's because if there was a 0 in the whole numbers world and a 0 in the decimal world, it would make sense, or at least for me it wouldn't.(7 votes)
- what is a positive and a negative(10 votes)
- A number is positive if it is greater than or equal to zero. A number is negative if it is less than or equal to zero.
Exsample of a negative number is : -3
Exsample of a positive number : 7
Does that help?(10 votes)
- All videos have been great so far. But the videos about absolute numbers have not helped me much to pass the tests. I feel like I am back at school again when teachers stand over my head and wonder why I don't get it. All the other videos have been so good. :( I simply cannot get the info I need from the related videos
Is it just me? Or does anyone else share my experience with these particular videos?(7 votes)
- OK. I'll help. Opposites are VERY weird but easy when you get the hang of it. Examples of opposites:
-123456789 is the opposite of 123456789.
0 is the opposite of 0(2 votes)
- Question 4 doesn't make sense to me. Can someone help me, please.(5 votes)
- what is negative?(3 votes)
- What is the negative of zero?(4 votes)