Adding multi-digit numbers: 48,029+233,930
Add 48,029+233,930 using the standard algorithm.
Want to join the conversation?
- What does 48,029+233,930=?(7 votes)
- Here's a method you would probably understand more for example do this with any big numbers you have that you have to add
Basiclly always just add the top and bottom number and if you get a number bigger than 10 then carry it onto the next one for example if i had 488 + 434 at first i would add the ones place first and get 12 and so the i would put a 2 in the ones place and carry the 1 so the 1 would be on top on the 8 in the tens place and then we basically add that 1 onto the addition of 8 + 4 and the it would turn into 9 + 4 because were adding the 1(9 votes)
- im not use to adding big number like 769,235 + 896,230(6 votes)
- yeah you your right(4 votes)
- WHY does he draw circles at1:38.(4 votes)
- Sal draws circles to show he is adding the 2 quantities. Often when doing multidigit addition people get messed up so drawing circles eliminates room for error especially in beginners.(6 votes)
- Can someone please explain this to me? I'm not sure what it is talking about so can you answer my question pls?Plus the video does not make sense to me! Many people don't have a good chance of getting into the same situation as the others are you get where I'm going on with? Thank you if you answered my questions bye-bye have a nice day 💖💌💬(5 votes)
- Could you possibly use another method than the standard method? I didn't understand why he only showed us standard.(4 votes)
- you can use something other than standard. sal was just showing us that,
incase that was better(5 votes)
- how you put the bigger number on top(2 votes)
- Re-arrange the numbers. For example, 1,000 + 500. You re-arrange it to be stacked. With the 1,000 on top. Then you add, Getting you 1500, or 1,500.(8 votes)
- i wanna do it but it wont let me(4 votes)
- i got the same answer :/(5 votes)
- Sir I can understand very thing(5 votes)
- [Instructor] What we're going to do in this video is add 48,029 to 233,930. And like always, pause this video, and I really encourage you to try to figure it out on your own, and let's see if we get the same answer. And if we don't, why? Alright, so the way I'm going to tackle this, I assume that you've had a go at it, I'm going to take the larger number. I'm going to write it on top. I'm really doing the standard method. There's multiple ways where you can add multi-digit numbers, but what I'm going to do is really the most typical method. And then I'm going to write the smaller number below it, but I'm going to match up the place value. So I'm going to write the ones place in the same column as the ones place on the top number. So this is the 10,000s place, so 48,029. So nine ones is zero ones, two tens, three tens, so on and so forth. And now I am ready to add. So let's start in the ones place. And if I'm adding numbers, it's always a good idea to start in the ones place. Zero ones plus nine ones is nine ones. Then I can go into the tens place. Three tens plus two tens is five tens. This is going well, alright. Then I go to the hundreds place. Nine hundreds plus zero hundreds, well, that's just going to be nine hundreds. So far, so good. Alright, now something interesting is going to happen in the thousands place. Three thousands plus eight thousands, well, that would be 11 thousands. But we can rewrite 11 thousands as 1000 and one 10000 sometimes you might see this described as carrying the one. Three plus eight is 11 where you carry the one. But all you're really doing is regrouping. 3000 plus 8000 is 11000, we write the 1000 here and we write the 10000 right over there, the 10000 place. And now so we have one 10000 plus three 10000s plus four 10000s so one plus three plus four that's eight 10000s or 80000. And then last but not least we have these two hundred thousands right over there and we're done. 281,959 did you get the same answer?