Arithmetic (all content)
Add and subtract: pieces of fruit
Sal adds fruit and subtracts fruit. The examples he uses are 5+3 and 5-3. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- When you get to large numbers such as trillion and quadrillion... are there any real world applications for such large numbers? Is there a quadrillion or quintillion of anything in the universe?(22 votes)
- For example, the mass of the Earth is about 6 million times as large as a quintillion kilograms (that is, the mass is 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms).
Another example: the number of molecules in an average drop of water (0.05 millilters) is more than 1,600 quintillion (that is, more than 1,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 molecules).(23 votes)
- Is a decillion a real number? And if it is, how many zeroes are on it?(6 votes)
- Yes sir it is real and it has 33 zeros and a one. A centilion has 600 zeros and a one.(5 votes)
- so if you have 3 and 10 you subtract and 7 would be my answer(5 votes)
- It all depends on how you frame your question.
If you say, "I had 10 from which I took away 3", then the answer would be 7.
10 - 3 = 7
If you meant, "I had 3 from which I took away 10", then your answer would be -7.
3 - 10 = -7(7 votes)
- i don,t get it how imon 5+7(3 votes)
- If you have five objects in one group and seven objects in another group, and you count all of your objects, you have 12 objects. 5+7=12, therefore.(5 votes)
- The Anwser could be 50 or it could be (1+49-50+50)(2 votes)
- is teachers nies in uter school then in my school because my teacher said to slam the door so i bid but then she said no candy because i slammed the door and now she wants me to whoolk for no reason(3 votes)
- and um when u doing long division do u carry zeros
just a quick question(2 votes)
- it said i had to pause the video and i though it was add? it is right here? And i can't figer it out?(3 votes)
- Sorry, but BOTH of you guys forgot capital letters!(0 votes)
- what would com after the trillions palce(1 vote)
- Quadrillions would come next. Quadrillions then Quintilian and then Sextillion! (twenty one zeros!)(3 votes)
- Are there more cherries or more blueberries?(0 votes)
- There are
5blueberries, which is more than the
3cherries. In fact, in the video he subtracts
5 - 3to show what happens if you start with
5blueberries and then eat
3. But you can also use
5 - 3 = 2to find how many more blueberries there are than cherries. He has
2more blueberries than cherries.(3 votes)
Voiceover:We have one, two, three, four, five blueberries here, so we have five blueberries, and we have one, two, three cherries, three cherries. Now, if I wanted to figure out the total number of fruit that I have here, I could say the total number of pieces of fruit, what should I do? Should I add five plus three? So, should I add five plus three, or should I subtract? Should I do five minus three, to get the total number of fruit that I have? I encourage you to pause the video now, and try to think about it on your own. If I want the total number of fruit, I'm starting with five blueberries, and now I have three more. I'm going to add three. I'm going to get a larger number of fruit. I start with five; I'm going to have three more, so I am going to add three, and so, how many blueberries do I have? What's five plus three? It's one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight pieces of fruit. Eight pieces of fruit. Now, what would five minus three have meant? What would five minus three, five minus three, what would that mean? You can imagine starting off with five pieces of fruit, let me copy and paste that, copy and paste that, so, if you start with five pieces of fruit, and now if you're subtracting three, this means taking away three of your fruit, so take away one, take away two, and take away three, so how many are you left with? You're just left with these, one, two, right over here, so five minus three is two. If someone says, "Hey, I have five blueberries, "and then I have three more cherries, "how many pieces of fruit?" well, now I'm going to be adding. If someone says, "I have five blueberries, "and then I ate three of them, "how many do I have left?" well, then you have two left.