Arithmetic (all content)
Adding 3-digit numbers
Learn to use regrouping, or carrying to add 709+996, 373+88, and 149+293. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- If you were 19 and turned 1,009.how much have you grown scene you were 19.(6 votes)
- Yes that is 990 years from nineteen to 1,009 but only vampires age that lomg(1 vote)
- why do we have place value?And 3 problems lol.(3 votes)
- Its mostly helpful to people that need help with math U-U(9 votes)
- who found out about regrouping(3 votes)
- Regrouping is so fundamental and basic, that it may have been independently discovered by more than one party, possibly thousands of years ago.(5 votes)
- why in same video again(??)!!(4 votes)
- need help with transvitive relationship.(2 votes)
- this teachs peple(4 votes)
- Why is 3,000 X 1= 3,000(1 vote)
i hope you know what is the meaning of multiplication.It meaans repeated addition.
For example, 3 X 2 = 6.
You add 3 two times which is 3+3=6.
4 X 5=20
will be, 4 added 5 times
Now to your question,
3000 is added one time
Therefore,3000 X 1=3000
Hope I answered your question.(3 votes)
- hi guys do you have any questions for math problem(3 votes)
- what is a square + b square(2 votes)
- a times in algebra i know but it can't be alone(1 vote)
We have three different addition problems right over here. And what I want you to do so you get the hang of things is to pause the video and try them on your own. But as you do them, I want you to really keep in mind and think about what the carrying actually means. So I assume you've tried it on your own. Now I'll work through them with you. So we have 9 plus 6. 9 ones plus 6 ones. Well 9 plus 6 is 15. Well, we can write the 5 in the ones place, and then we can carry the one. But what did we just do? W.hat does this 1 represent? Well, we put it in the tens place-- one 10 represents 10. So all we've said is that 9 plus 6 is equal to 10 plus 5. Is equal to one 10 plus 5, which is equal to 15. Now, in the tens place, we have 1 plus 0 plus 9 which is 10.. So we can write 0 and carry the 1 1 plus 0 plus 9 is 10. Now what does that really mean? Well this is 1 ten plus 0 tens plus 9 tens, which is 10 tens. 10 tens is 100. Or another way to think about 100, it's 1 hundred, and 0 tens. So that's all that carrying represents. So now we have a 1, plus a 7, plus a 9. That is going to be 17. Now we have to remind ourselves, this is in the hundreds place. This is actually 1 hundred plus 7 hundred plus 9 hundred 17 hundred. Or 1 thousand, 7 hundred. And of course we have this 5 here. And we are done. Now let's try to tackle this one. Now the reason why I wrote it that way is to make sure that we remind ourselves to align the proper places under the appropriate places. So this we rewrite as-- let me do that same green color-- we could rewrite this as 373 plus-- we want to write the ones place under the ones place, and the tens place under the tens place, so that we're adding the appropriate values. So 3 plus 8 is 11. The 1 in the ones place, and the 1 in the tens place. 10 plus 1 is 11. 1 plus 7 is 8. 8 plus 8 is 16. This is actually 16 tens. So let me just write down the 16. What is 16 tens? Well, that's 160. So this 6 is a 60, and then I have a hundred. 1 plus 3 is 4. But these are actually hundreds, so it's 4 hundreds. So we get 461. Now finally, 9 plus 3 is 12. 2 ones, and 1 ten. 12 is the same thing as 10 plus 2. Now in the tens place, 1 plus 4 plus 9 is 14. So we write the 4, and carry the 1. But remind ourselves this is actually 10 plus 40 plus 90, which is 140. Which is the same thing as 40 plus 100. And then 1 plus 1 plus 2 is 4. But this is the hundreds place. So this is actually 1 hundred, plus 1 hundred, plus 2 hundred, or 4 hundred. And we're done.