Nutritionists measured the sugar content (in grams) for drinks at Jake's Java coffee shop. The drinks had a mean of and a standard deviation of , and the distribution was roughly symmetric.
A Grande Mocha Cappuccino at Jake's Java contains of sugar.
Calculate the standardized score (z-score) for the Grande Mocha Cappuccino.
What is the best interpretation of the z-score from the previous problem?
A different coffee shop called Ruth's Roasts serves drinks that contain a mean of of sugar with a standard deviation of .
A Grande Mocha Cappuccino at Ruth's Roasts contains of sugar.
Assuming that the distribution of sugar amounts have approximately the same shape, at which shop does this drink have less sugar relative to the other drinks at its respective store?
Drinks at Ben's Beans have a mean sugar content of with a standard deviation of . The sugar content in a Grande Cappuccino at Ben's Beans has a z-score of compared to the rest of the drinks at that shop.
How much sugar is in a Grande Cappuccino at Ben's Beans?
Want to join the conversation?
- For the challenge problem, why is the answer not 24.5? I got to the x - 20 = -4.5 and solved for x. Isn't x the amount of sugar in the drink we are observing?(3 votes)
- so from x - 20 = -4.5 => x + 20 - 20 = -4.5 + 20 => x = 20 - 4.5 => x = 15.5
I think your problem was that you added 4.5 to 20 instead of subtracting 4.5. (4.5 is Negative)(11 votes)
- challenge problem,
since z-score=(x-mean)/std dev then
(std dev*z-score)=x-mean) equals
- I was confused what the last question was asking. Can someone explain it to me?(3 votes)
- Could I have a z score of 1.00 and be in the top 85% of my class?(4 votes)
- if the distribution is normal (bell shaped) then the mean would be at 50% and 1 sd (approx 34%) above the mean. This would put you at the 84th percentile.
if its a normal distribution then n (size of class ie population) is not relevant and does not have any impact on the z-score.(3 votes)
- Is there a z-score but based on median, not mean?(2 votes)
- given financial accounts, such as the profit and loss account how do I compute the Z-Score using Xcel(2 votes)