7th grade foundations (Eureka Math/EngageNY)
Sal finds the measure of angles by adding or subtracting. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- how can you tell if its a obtuse angle or a right angle(11 votes)
- An obtuse angle is an angle greater than 90 degrees but less that 180. A right angle, on the other hand, is an angle EXACTLY 90 DEGREES OF MEASURE. Usually, a right angle is marked by a square inside of the angle. Also usually, a geometric problem says "Not drawn to scale" so you can't assume it's 90 degrees.
(Sorry, I'm 5 yrs late)(5 votes)
- how can we measure angles of hands of a clock without using a protractor its not given in the syllabus, help me.(9 votes)
- You actually can do it without a protractor. There are 12 numbers on a clock. So the distance between each number is 30 degrees. You can use that to measure the angles.(10 votes)
- is there another way to get the angle(7 votes)
- You can use the trigonometric ratios, but the best way is to use a protractor to measure it. If you really want to know all the ways to calculate an angle, you can go to the trigonometry subject. Good luck(5 votes)
- Can you use geometry in like sciance(4 votes)
- Can you decompose more than one angle?(5 votes)
- Does decomposing mean breaking angles equally? please give me full description. Thanks for answering!(5 votes)
- Hi! Decomposing an angle is when you subtract the interior angle's number of degrees (not really sure how to word it...) from the outer angle's number of degrees. I'll explain the problem Sal does in this video.
It's asking 'what is the measure of angle COB?' This means you have to find out how many degrees angle COB is.
It shows you that the angle between D and B is 70°. It also shows that the angle between D and C is 45.
You would want to subtract the full 70° between D and B minus the interior 45° between D and C to get the angle of COB.
Therefore, COB equals:
70° - 45° = COB -----> Angle COB equals 25°.
Hope this helped! :)(3 votes)
- What does 'adjacent' mean?(4 votes)
- Something that is near by, in this case the angle which is near to the other. so the 45 degree angle is adjacent to the 25 degree angle and their sum is going to be 70 degree.(3 votes)
- Hello. I'm sorry, but is the angles from video are adjacent? Indeed, angles shares vertex and one ray, but other rays need to compose a straight line. Maybe these angles are included? Correct me please if I'm wrong.(4 votes)
- A pair of adjacent angles are angles that, as you said, share a common vertex and one ray, but the incorrect part is that they don't need to create a 180 degree angle (straight line) and they can be considered adjacent as long as they are "next to each other." Good luck!(4 votes)
- So basically, decomposing an angle is making it into smaller angles that equal the original angle, like a straight angle can be decomposed into supplementary angles?(5 votes)
What is the measure of angle COB? So this is C. This is O. And this is B. So they're telling us, what is the measure of this angle right over here? This is angle COB. And they clearly don't give it to us. We need to figure it out. And what they do give us is they give us the measure of an adjacent angle. This angle is 45-degree angled. Angle DOC is adjacent because it shares this arm, this segment OC with angle COB. And then they give us the combined angle. If you take the two outer arms of the two angles, these two outer segments, if you look at angle BOD, they tell us that that is 70 degrees. So if the measure of the angle made from the two outer arms of these two adjacent angles, the two outer rays, if you kept going out like this, if that's 70 degrees and one of the adjacent angles is 45, then this one right over here must be 70 minus 45. Or another way of thinking about it is this angle, the question mark angle, plus 45 degrees must be equal to 70 degrees. Or that question mark must be equal to 70 degrees minus 45 degrees. So what's this going to be? Well, if it was 70 minus 40, we'd get to 30. But then we have to subtract another 5. So it's going to be 25 degrees. So the measure of angle COB is 25 degrees.