- How can parents give permission for their child to have a Khan Academy account?
- Who can see information about my child?
- How does Khan Academy protect students under 13 years old?
- What else can I do to protect my child’s privacy?
- Privacy considerations
- Khan Academy privacy principles
Your privacy and your child’s privacy is of utmost importance. No one has access to your data or your child’s data unless explicitly given permission. Our site is free to use, and completely free of ads and spam so that each learner can focus on learning.
There are 3 places that are affected by privacy settings:
A student's username, avatar, background, and bio are visible to the public. This can be edited from the Learner home by selecting the student's username.
2) Community forums
For child accounts (for users under 13 years of age), posting in discussion forums is not an option.
For accounts users over 13 years old and Google Apps for Education accounts, any postings in forums are public to all users. You can view all user postings by visiting their profile and clicking “Discussions” in the left hand column.
3) Learning data
Progress of your child’s learning is only available to their coaches. For child accounts, parents can select whether to allow for coaches other than the parent account.
For all accounts, the learner must accept a coach request in order for a coach to have access to their data. All the data a learner sees is available to their coach.
Want to join the conversation?
- I tried many times to change my parent email because that email will be soon deleted, but i can't make it. How do i do to change it please?(2 votes)
- My kids username keeps saying its unvalid and will not let me put in any other username?(1 vote)
- Have you already created an account for your child, or are you trying to create one? Usernames must be at least three numbers and/or letters long.(1 vote)
- How do we change an account that has been created for one of our students that is younger than 13? I want to add coaches and it is requesting parental permission and I am not sure that the parents have ever signed in.(1 vote)
- I'd like to know where I can send a letter home to the parents for my students in 2nd grade to start using Kahn Academy. I realized I created a class without sending home letter to parents first.(1 vote)
- Hi Tammy,
Here's a document with sample parent letters: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d-4PoVZJMezPLICdNuhVOxuwnxPBo38D2jF66K_joDo/edit#bookmark=id.cei52wi0106b(1 vote)
- We started a student account for my son a couple years ago using my email address but now I want to change this account to a teacher/parent account and add my daughter as well. I would like both my son's and daughter's accounts to be under my parent/ teacher account. How can I do this? Thank you.(1 vote)
- If I made a mistake by using a first and last name of a child for their username, then fixed that username with a pseudonym under "settings", is the old user name completely gone, or do I need to worry that their information is still out there, vulnerable to misuse?(1 vote)
- Or Flag your question to get a Guardian's attention (by clicking Flag underneath you question/comment) for quick reply(1 vote)