- How can parents give permission for their child to have a Khan Academy account?
- Who can see information about my child?
- How does Khan Academy protect students under 13 years old?
- What else can I do to protect my child’s privacy?
- Privacy considerations
- Khan Academy privacy principles
Khan Academy is committed to these Privacy Principles:
- We’re deeply committed to creating a safe and secure online environment for you.
- We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We established ourselves as a not-for-profit organization so that our mission of education and your trust will not be in conflict with a for-profit motive.
- We strive to provide you with access to and control over the information you give us, and we take the protection of your information very seriously.
- We take extra precautions for our younger students under the age of 13, including restricting child accounts to automatically block features that would allow a child to post or disclose personal information.
- We do not advertise on Khan Academy. We use your information to provide you with a better learning experience, not to sell you products.
Want to join the conversation?
- Do you make preschoolers join khan academy too!(6 votes)
- Part of the potential for Khan Academy is having relevant data models. This works in many ways for the system to become more intelligent and intuitive.
By having certain information, like age, the system can begin using that as a data point in its model on 'likely' recommended points as well as to use the big data of all (abstract without individual info applied) to determine what is working as a whole most effectively and what is not.
That model is then applied individually, but at the individual level the modeling effect will track and refine to the individual needs.
Think of it like a road system. If you are STARTING from a particular point, there are many roads available and some recommendations on routes...however the route can be individually adjusted as the journey unfolds.
The information of the whole (big data) benefits the individual for creating a better, more interactive and intuitive system; but the system as a whole is not possible without the individual.
Now as for date of birth, maybe they could give the option for more of an age survey or data survey rather than request specific individual data...that should work equally well.
But, the date of birth may also be necessary to allow for compliance with local, state and federal laws related to minors online.(5 votes)
- It is more important for my child to have privacy than most other kids, Can I count on the required privacy?(6 votes)
- Yes I believe they should have particularly because some children gets embarrassed and discouraged(4 votes)
- My son is in third grade and is having a hard time with reading is there any way Khan Academy can help? He loves the history videos and I'm hoping that he'll come around on working on more on math.(2 votes)
- In my opinion, improving reading can only be achieved with books.
If he has hard time with reading, it can have two causes:
- lack of training
- lack of motivation/interest.
Generally it's both, because it's linked, if he has a lack of interest in reading, he doesn't read often, and he is not trained at reading. The less he practices, the less he is able to read well.
Try to find what kind of story he is really interested, everyone has a favorite kind of story, fairy, war, science fiction, etc... and read stories to him ! He will finish them alone!
Try to find a "club" with kids at the same age, ex: a Harry Potter club, etc...
You have a lot on the internet.
PS: sorry for my English.(6 votes)
- All my children are married and not living with me. How do i sign up only for myself(2 votes)
- You don't have to make accounts for your children. You can leave it like this without coaching/teaching them.(3 votes)
- I don't have money at this time and can we still use your academy, Maureen O'Sullivan(2 votes)
- I thank you for the extra mile you have to protect and encourage our children at the same time, for no cost at all! This is a wonderful and powerful tool for me and my children.(1 vote)