Khan for Educators (US)
National LearnStorm Challenge
Program information for teachers about the National LearnStorm Challenge
2023 LearnStorm Spring Challenge is over!
Thank you and your students for your participation! Here is our top teachers and their classes nationwide, based on the number of levels they have gained during the 30-day Challenge period. More classes will be added below as we are receiving permissions from teachers:
- Mrs Harris’ 6th grade math block 2 (660 levels); block 1 (630); block 3 (522) - Camden Intermediate School, Camden, North Carolina
- Mr. Vierheller's 7th Grade 1st Period Class (599 levels) - North Pontotoc Middle School, Pontotoc, Mississippi
- Mr. B's Homeroom Math - (532 levels)
- Ms. W. York's 6th grade class (514 levels), Lynwood, CA
- Mrs. Wilson-Books 1st Block ALMS (329 levels)
- Luisa Dolesh's AP Statistics (324 levels) - CMIT South HS, Upper Marlboro, MD
- Ms. Roberts Math 6 Accelerated Period 8-9 (305 levels); Period 1-2 (229); Period 5-6 (217) - Forrestdale School in Rumson, NJ.
- Ms. Stranz's Algebra Class (280 levels) - Byram, NJ
- Ms. Knerr’s Second Grade Class (235 levels) - Walt Disney Magnet School, Chicago, IL
- Mr. Conor Corey's Math Class (229 levels) - Log College Middle School, Warminster, PA
- Mrs. Manning’s Class (226 levels) - Franklin School in Newark, NJ
- Ms. Jenna Rezac's 7th/8th Grade Math (223 levels), Explorer Middle School, Paradise Valley Unified School District, Phoenix, Arizona
- Ms. Erin Gasior, 6th Grade Math Period 3 (194 levels) - Fireside Elementary in Phoenix, Arizona
*The list here includes only classes that have at least 10 students.
How do I use the LearnStorm feature in my teacher account?
Please follow this LearnStorm tracker guide!
What are the raffle prizes?
If at least one of your classes levels up 5 new rings or more on the LearnStorm tracker between March 6 and April 4, you will be automatically entered into our raffles when the Challenge ends.
5 new rings or more - Class Kit including glue sticks, Scotch tapes and Post-it tabs.
10 new rings or more - LearnStorm Kit including pencils, Post-it tabs, sticker sheets, Scotch tapes, and colored tapes
30 new rings or more - LearnStorm Kit & $50 gift card for Khan Academy Merch!
Note: Each tier is a raffle with 100 winners. The higher levels you get, the more chances you and your students can win! Once you reach the above levels, you are automatically entered for the raffle. We will contact the winning teachers for shipping addresses shortly after April 4.
What's the relationship between the Spring Challenge and the regular LearnStorm tracker?
The tracker is available year-round for any class to use, but during the National Challenges (usually in Spring and Fall), you can earn free prizes and extra motivation from Khan Academy. See our Guide to LearnStorm for more details on how to use the tracker.
What happens after the Challenge ends on April 4?
- Stick to your routine and keep leveling up on the tracker! See how high your class can get before the last day of school!
- You can choose to clear all rings and start a new challenge for your class from the beginning. Clearing all rings does not affect your students' mastery progress.
Q: Do I need to enroll to participate in the Challenge?
A: No. Just start using the tracker with your students, or keep using it if you've already started before the Challenge.
Q: Do I need to clear my rings if I've started before the Challenge?
A: No. Just keep growing the tracker. We are counting NEW rings.
Q: Does "level up 5 new rings" mean completing level 5 on the tracker?
A: It depends. If you started using the LearnStorm tracker for your class before March 6, then it means 5 additional rings from the level you have before March 6. But if you have never used LearnStorm before, then yes, it means completing 5 levels during the 30 day period.
Q: What if I add/drop students midway through the challenge?
A: Your class progress for completed levels in LearnStorm will be saved. For example, say your class completed the 1st level (ring) with 10 students but then added 2 students. Your level 2 assignment target would go up based on those 2 students, but you would NOT lose your level 1 class progress. Classes will never lose levels in LearnStorm.
Want to join the conversation?
- What is this Khan Academy merch store? I would love to be able to shop for goodies even if my class doesn't win. Is there a link that can be shared?(4 votes)
- Yes, you can access the store even if your class does not win the grand prize!
The merch shop can be found here: https://shop.khanacademy.org/(2 votes)
- Do I have to make a course mastery goal for a class in order for students to have their mastery skills been seen on the rings? Or do I just add the grade levels to each class and their work will show up? This is for my math remediation classes, who are doing independent work on Khan Mappers. The goal is to raise their grade level placement of RIT scores from their MAP test, which often 3 to 5 grade levels below their current grade level, towards grade level.
Will their work on these exercises and assessments be acknowledged in Learnstorm? I usually go into Khan Academy and look at their grade level progress from the earlier grades to help me monitor their growth.(2 votes)
- Skill level progress made towards their MAP Accelerator placement should automatically count towards their LearnStorm progress, as long as you have set a placement level for them in Khan Academy.
If they are working on content outside of Khan Academy's MAP Accelerator program courses, you will need to create a Course Mastery Goal for their progress to count towards LearnStorm.(1 vote)
- What do I need to do for my class to be sent their prize after completing levels on LearnStorm?(1 vote)
- Hi Chloe!
All of the prizes involve donating school supplies on your behalf to students in need via UNICEF. This will be done automatically by Khan Academy after the LearnStorm event ends.
You should receive an email every Monday that explains which prizes your class has earned and what you need to do to reach the next prize level.
If you reach Level 50 or earn the Grand Prize, we will reach out to you with more information and the next steps.
Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!(2 votes)
- How do the donations work?
Will each one be given at each level passed or is it at which level you finish at?
EX: If I am at level 16, will I donate all the below levels or should I try to get to exactually 20?(1 vote)
- Donations are given for each level that your class achieves. So if your class reaches level 20, the level 20 items will be donated as well as all of the donation items for the lower levels.(1 vote)
- HI, My classes are past level 15. Do we get an email that states certain items were donated to other classes on our behalf? I think seeing this will make my students happy.(1 vote)
- The prizes won't be donated until the end of the LearnStorm challenge, but you should receive an email update each Monday throughout the challenge that specifies which prizes your class has earned, as well as what they need to do to reach the next prize.(1 vote)
- Hi I have students who are at 169 rings, how can I find out if classes have received supplies on their behalf. All three of my classes are trying hard to close out rings but I can't find information to give them.(1 vote)
- Once your class reaches the level threshold for a prize, you should receive a progress update email that states what prizes were donated on your behalf.
Also, please note that prizes are only given out during the LearnStorm event. Any progress made after the event ended (April 4, 2023) does not count towards the prizes.(1 vote)
- Is it available for India as well?(1 vote)
- Yes! Anyone can participate in the event and use the LearnStorm progress tracker. However, some of the prizes may only be available to teachers in the US.(1 vote)
- I'm pretty sure I never clicked the blue button that said "Enroll in LearnStorm 2022" and now it's gone. How can I be sure my classes are enrolled in the National LearnStorm Challenge?(1 vote)
- If you've successfully enrolled in the LearnStorm competition, you should see a banner on your Teacher Dashboard that says "Check my progress" instead of "Enroll in LearnStorm".
If you're not seeing a banner at all, would you mind reaching out via our Help Center so that we can take a closer look at the issue?
- when is the next LearnStorm?(1 vote)
- The next LearnStorm event will be in the fall during the back-to-school season.(1 vote)
- I cleared my class's rings yesterday with the hopes of starting fresh for this quarter. However, my students made progress yesterday and no rings are showing up for them yet. Did clearing them out prevent them from every filling up again?(0 votes)
- If the students leveled up skills before you cleared the rings, then the recently leveled-up skills were also cleared (for the purposes of the LearnStorm tracker).
Your students should continue to be able to fill rings by leveling up mastery skills.(1 vote)