Staging content lifeboat
Comparing decimals 3
Sal compares decimals like 45.675 and 45.645 with greater and less than symbols. Created by Sal Khan and Monterey Institute for Technology and Education.
Want to join the conversation?
- Explain more!(24 votes)
- Well if you were to compare decimals for example:
22.05 and 22.125 you would see that 22.05 only has 2 digits and that 22.125 has 3 digits.
So you had a zero to make the digits equal, just like this:22.050. I added another zero.
22.050 has 50 thousandths and 22.125 has 125 thousandths so this means that :
22.050 < 22.125
You can remove the zero if you want to. Anyways this means that 22.05 is less than
- is 2.2 greater or less than 2.2082(2 votes)
- so just go down the digits 2=2, .2=.2 and then .2082 is greater than .2 so 2.2082 is greater than 2.2.(0 votes)
- What is rounding of decimal numbers(2 votes)
- Rounding of a decimal number is to reach the nearest decimal number like tens, hundredths and thousandths place. when any number is less than 5 we move backward whereas when a number is 5 or greater than 5 we will move forward the nearest number(2 votes)
- The smallest number among 0.0007,0.001,0.2,0.005,0.0009 ?(2 votes)
- every number after point(.) are fractions of 1. The first are 1/10 of 1, the second is 1/100, the third is 1/1000 etc. the number before point is a whole number. (1, 2, 3..,) To find the smallest one. try to convert it to a fraction. for example, 0.005 = 5/1000 (the number five is third from the point)(2 votes)
- wich on is greater 45.675or45.645(2 votes)
- 45.675 is greater than 45.645. The only difference is in the hundredths place. 45.675 has 7 hundredths and 45.645 has 4 hundredths. Since 7 hundredths is 3 more hundredths than 4 hundredths, 45.675 is greater than 45.645(2 votes)
- i dont understand completely(2 votes)
- so first to compare decimals it is same as the method we use for comparing normal numbers. For example:-
1) 0.678 _ 0.676
so to compare first compare the first non-decimal number. So as you can see both of them are 0 so now we will compare the 1st decimal place so they both are also 6. So know compare the 2nd decimal number and now both of them are also same (7). And know finally compare the 3rd decimal place. We can see that they both are different and now we should compare them both so we'll get 8 > 6. So we can say that 0.678 is greater than 0.676!
Hope this helps!(1 vote)
- what are the things at the bottom of the screen?(2 votes)
- Does 0.999999999999999...=1?(1 vote)
Yes, if the 9s repeat forever it is = 1(3 votes)
- why does the right of the decemel the oppisate order than the left(1 vote)
- It is like fractions. The smaller the place value the bigger the value, so the tenths will be bigger than the hundredths, and it works the same as before the decimal, biggest to smallest. Just this time the smallest place value before the decimal is the biggest below the decimal, and the biggest is the smallest.(2 votes)
- which one is greater? 0.36 or 0.24?(2 votes)
Use less than or greater than for this little brackets thing to write a true sentence. So they essentially want us to say whether 45.675 is greater than or less than 45.645. So let's look at each of these numbers. I'm just going to write them on top of each other. So the first a number is forty-five and six hundred and seventy-five thousandths and the second number is forty-five and six hundred and forty-five thousandths. Now when you look at everything here, the only place where these two numbers are different is in the hundredths place. We have 7 hundredths here and we have 4 hundredths here. Everything is the same, so this number is going to be greater. This number is a greater than 45.645, or six-hundred and forty-five thousandths. Let me write that down just to make sure we know what we're doing. Forty-five and six hundred and seventy-five thousandths, or 45.675, is definitely greater than 45.645, or forty-five and six hundred and forty-five thousandths.