Ancient Mesopotamian civilizations
- Mesopotamian civilizations formed on the banks of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers in what is today Iraq and Kuwait.
- Early civilizations began to form around the time of the Neolithic Revolution—12000 BCE.
- Some of the major Mesopotamian civilizations include the Sumerian, Assyrian, Akkadian, and Babylonian civilizations.
- Evidence shows extensive use of technology, literature, legal codes, philosophy, religion, and architecture in these societies.
Civilizations born along rivers
What do you think?
- Why did Mesopotamian rulers decide to build ziggurats if they required such massive amounts of human labor?
- How did trade with faraway civilizations likely impact Mesopotamians’ views of the world?