Andean and Chavín civilizations
- Several complex societies formed in the Andean region of South America, the Caral—or Norte Chico—and the Chavín.
- Some scholars dispute whether the Caral culture represented a true civilization.
- The Chavín civilization was named for and centered around a large temple at Chavín de Huántar and was probably organized around a religious hierarchy.
Caral—or Norte Chico—civilization
What do you think?
- How did early Andean societies take advantage of the region’s geography for agricultural production?
- How did Chavín elites maintain power?
- Why does the existence of monumental architecture, such as the temple at Chavín de Huántar, imply that some sort of political organization must have existed?