World History Project - 1750 to the Present
- READ: Ottoman Empire
- READ: Mughal Empire
- READ: Tokugawa Shogunate
- READ: Sub-Saharan Africa
- READ: Americas in 1750
- READ: Oceania and the Pacific in 1750
- BEFORE YOU WATCH: The Omani Empire
- WATCH: The Omani Empire
- READ: Qing Shih (Graphic Biography)
- Expanding to a Global Scale
Use the “Three Close Reads” approach as you watch the video below.
Use the “Three Close Reads” approach as you watch the video below (next in the lineup!). If you want to learn more about this strategy, click here.
First read: preview and skimming for gist
Before you watch, you should skim the transcript first. The skim should be very quick and give you the gist (general idea) of what the video is about. You should be looking at the title, thumbnails, pictures, and first few seconds of the video for the gist.
Second read: key ideas and understanding content
Now that you’ve skimmed the video transcript and taken a quick peek at the video, you should preview the questions you will be answering. These questions will help you get a better understanding of the concepts and arguments that are presented in the video. Keep in mind that when you watch the video, it is a good idea to write down any vocab you read or hear that is unfamiliar to you.
By the end of the second close read, you should be able to answer the following questions:
- What makes the Omani Empire different from other Islamic empires?
- What areas did the Omani Empire cover at its peak?
- How did the Omani Empire come to be an empire?
- What are two key differences between the Omani Empire and most other Empires?
- How did the Omani Empire change East Africa in the long term?
- What lasting impact did the Omani Empire have on Oman today?
- According to Kamala Russell, what makes the Omani Empire interesting from the perspective of global history?
Third read: evaluating and corroborating
Finally, here are some questions that will help you focus on why this video matters how it connects to other content you’ve studied.
At the end of the third read, you should be able to respond to these questions:
- Do you think the Omani Empire was actually an empire? Why or why not?
Now that you know what to look for, it’s time to watch! Remember to return to these questions once you’ve finished watching.