- Introduction to storytelling
- Your unique perspective
- Activity 1: Expressing memories
- Your favorite stories
- Activity 2: Your three favorite films
- What if...
- Activity 3: What if...
- World & character
- Activity 4: Characters & worlds
- Advice from storytellers
- Glossary: Storytelling
All our films begin with an idea which inspires us.
Want to join the conversation?
- What if we were all gods?
What if the world broke in half
What if everything changed?
What if we had nothing?
What if we were way to dehydrated?
What if we were all homeschooled?(29 votes)
- well, we are all homeschooled right now and answer: we go crazy. or at least i am(15 votes)
- What if the moon disappears and you find it in your mom´s washing machine?(31 votes)
- Best idea ever! Pixar, you should have barbarart52 on the team!🤣(12 votes)
- What happens when you can't find a 'What if?' question to start a story?(17 votes)
- I'm sure some legitimate stories do start without a "what if?"
However, the "what if?" component can help an author build a story from an initial idea.
For example, if you wanted to write a story about Listerine mouthwash, you might want to ask questions about the mouthwash to formulate an awesome plot, rather than just saying "Here's some mouthwash." What if the mouthwash is part of a foreign exchange student program in a secret conspiracy created by Colgate, and it's spying on users to see if they floss?
If you want to start a great story, asking all kinds of questions can be a quick way to get a solid main character and story line.(29 votes)
- what if someone need to go to the bathroom during a movie(14 votes)
- Pretty sure they do that before the take.
Might be wrong, but im sure it is how it works.(4 votes)
- what if a young, green haired boy wanted to become a hero just like his idol, in a world where almost everyone has superpowers. but what if he didn’t have one, but he had the drive and passion for being a hero? with no one except his mom believing in him, what if he got into the best hero school in his country and is now studying to become the number 1 hero?(11 votes)
- bro my guy has like zero iq(4 votes)
- A̷̗͐̒͑̅̓ͅT̴̤͕̟̊̆̓͘ͅƠ̵̡̧̺̘͇̥̘͓̳̎̀͂̌͗͜͝M̵̠̜̝͕͙̀̌̅Ḯ̷͎̯̜̾̄̀̂̇͠C̴̢̛̪̠̻͇̬͒͘s̴̤̩͍̅̒͋̄̎̕͝ņ̵̯͈͓͈͈͙͈̍ḯ̵̡̨̺̱̜̮͙̜̼͍p̴̫̟͙͍͑̑̄e̸͕͖̘̬̫̳͖͕͈͕͋͆͂̋͂͑͆͠r̶͈̫͎̬̟̤̞̼͙͒̔͗̏̈́̓̿̽͜7̶̢̯̤̤̗̼̙͔̥̀ͅ0̸̡̞͕̻̪̉̅̐͐͒͂͜͜6̸̢̼͖̺̘̔͆̀̾́̽̊̌͝Posted 4 years ago. Direct link to A̷̗͐̒͑̅̓ͅT̴̤͕̟̊̆̓͘ͅƠ̵̡̧̺̘͇̥̘͓̳̎̀͂̌͗͜͝M̵̠̜̝͕͙̀̌̅Ḯ̷͎̯̜̾̄̀̂̇͠C̴̢̛̪̠̻͇̬͒͘s̴̤̩͍̅̒͋̄̎̕͝ņ̵̯͈͓͈͈͙͈̍ḯ̵̡̨̺̱̜̮͙̜̼͍p̴̫̟͙͍͑̑̄e̸͕͖̘̬̫̳͖͕͈͕͋͆͂̋͂͑͆͠r̶͈̫͎̬̟̤̞̼͙͒̔͗̏̈́̓̿̽͜7̶̢̯̤̤̗̼̙͔̥̀ͅ0̸̡̞͕̻̪̉̅̐͐͒͂͜͜6̸̢̼͖̺̘̔͆̀̾́̽̊̌͝'s post “I like coming up with Ape...”I like coming up with Apex Legends Fandoms...(10 votes)
- What if colors don't exist?
What if everything we call "facts" are wrong?
What if the food we eat is actually poisonous, and that's why we only live for around 100 years? What if humans used to be immortal?(8 votes)
- What if: we are in a movie playing on and on forever.
What if: Game characters can come to life.
What if: When we die we transport to another universe.(6 votes)
- Zootopia: what if the animals became real people but live in a zoo.
beauty and the beast:what if the beast was still a beast and went to college.
Frozen:what if elsa and anna were living under the sea(6 votes)
- what is that movie about god called?(4 votes)
- Which one?
There are many movies about God.
(My favorite being War room or Veggietales.)
Are you talking about that one they showed in the video, it is called Sanjay's Super Team and it is a short. If I recall correctly it is at the end of ... uh ... the good dinosaur.
(Looked it up and tried to remember a pixar movie with a similar theme. Then I double checked!)
Have you noticed that shorts have similar themes to the movie they come with?(2 votes)
(metal clattering) - Although our movies involve hundreds of people and take years to make, they all begin with a simple idea about some world and character. - What if there's life out there in the universe? - What if a rat wanted to cook haute cuisine? - What if our toys that, you know, are all around us actually were sentient and can come alive? - These what if questions invite the imagination into a story we want to explore. Let's hear how our story artists use what ifs. - So what if questions kind of really drive that imagination. - The best what ifs are questions that sort of, they feel like a key that unlocks a door. - It really shuts down the logic part of your brain, and it lets you engage the dream part of your brain, and somehow it opens up the doors to imagination, or at least for me it does, and what if sort of seems to ask this question to let yourself wonder. So when it came to writing and directing Sanjay's Super Team, the thing that I came to first was what I wanted to say. What if we could finally see what my father was seeing in his mind with his spirituality and his faith? What if we could show that with vivid, three dimensional, Pixar technology to this little boy who worships cartoons. That was the big what if that I challenged the art department with. - At Pixar, these what ifs are not only fun, but they're a simple way to communicate a story idea and kick off our entire creative process, so it's important to be able to communicate stories in this concise way. In the next exercise, you'll reframe your three favorite films in terms of what if statements.