- Introduction to character
- Warm up activity
- Internal vs. external features
- Activity 1: Internal & external features
- Wants vs. needs
- Activity 2: Wants vs. needs
- Activity 3: Obstacles
- Character arc
- Activity 4: Character arc
- Activity 5: Stakes
- Advice on characters
- Glossary: Character
Activity 2: Wants vs. needs
Thinking more about wants and needs...
A scene from Pixar's film "Monsters, Inc." where Sully the monster holds the young child named Boo.
Part A: Return to the main characters from your three favorite films. Identify a want and a need for each character.
For example: In Monsters Inc. Sulley wants to be the best scarer but he needs to be a father figure.
Part B: Try to identify one of your own wants and needs.
Part C: Return to your character idea from the previous exercise. Brainstorm answers to the following questions:
- What do they want most?
- Who do they want to become?
- What might they need in order to succeed?
Want to join the conversation?
- Part C:
- He most wants to be free of any obligations, to have a day off, or to conquer several systems for his people so that they are no longer in danger of being conquered themselves
- He wants to become the strongest soldier in the United Systems in any given method of combat, so that he can ensure safety for the people he wants to look after
- He needs to protect his loved ones, even if that means sacrificing all of his time and energy, and perhaps even his life(33 votes)
- Simba wants to be free and live his own life
He wants to become king
He needs to put his past behind him & be brave to face his uncle and take his place as king.(26 votes)
- Darth Vader wants power but need love.(23 votes)
- Absolutely! Thanks for saying that.(0 votes)
- Echo Just like us when we don't wanna be some wear he just wants to go home
Peter Parker is sort of at mixed feelings he wants to stop being a hero but at the same time the uptown manhattan area can't save its self
and Wall-e he's a robot that doesn't want to have feeling but later he learns to understand these feelings(11 votes)
- A rat wants to be the a chef but needs respect from humans(20 votes)
- So if they want some thing they need or don't need it .(10 votes)
- And to further what Lyndsay said, they can want something that they need, but they need something more.
To spin off Lyndsay's last example:
They want peace and quiet, but they need to fight for what's right.(8 votes)
- winnie the poo wants honey but he needs help getting it(11 votes)
- From the movie up Carl wants really bad to accomplish his wife dream of being beside the waterfall, but he really needs is to start a new happy life again(8 votes)
- Film 1 : Harry Potter, he wants to have a ¨normal¨ life, but he needs to kill Voldemort *(SORRY FOR THE SPOILERS)*
Film 2: Sweet Home Alabama, Reese Witherspoon wants to marry the fancy guy from upstate, but truly wants/needs the country boy she fell in love with when she was in high school(4 votes)
- Elsa from Frozen 2
Wants: I think Elsa wants to find out why she is the only one who can hear the calls and why they are coming to her only.
Needs: Elsa needs to find the truth about her and Anna's past to free the Enchanted Forest and right the wrong.(4 votes)
- For instance you may really want to get a bicycle, but you need the money for food.(4 votes)