Big History Project
Now that you are becoming somewhat of a Big History expert, you are going to identify a problem affecting the world at large, and then predict a vision of the future based on this problem and what you now know about the history of the Universe. This activity will give you a chance to see how (or if) your thinking has changed during the Big History course, since you participated in the same activity in the first lesson of Unit 1.
You are going to identify a problem affecting the world today, and then you’ll create a vision of the future based on your chosen problem. You can choose whatever you want. Once you’ve picked out the problem, write a few sentences that address the following criteria:
1. Provide a short explanation of the problem.
2. Explain how you think this problem will affect the world in 100 years.
3. Write about how your vision of the future has changed since Unit 1.
For Further Discussion
Share your responses into the Questions Area for others to read. Then, read other people’s responses and see how their visions of the future have changed (or not changed) since Unit 1. Find a response that is different from yours, and think about how it might impact your perspective on the future.
Want to join the conversation?
- Is the global warming all due to the pollution of our transport and factories? If so, how do we improve our treatment to the Earth and everything on it, as many individuals would not be willing to make a change and take a big step onwards?(6 votes)
- Not a lot of people are exercising so they are gaining weight which is leading to obesity.
I believe that exercise will affect the world in 100 years so crucially that it will make a big difference if it were included in everyone's daily regimen.
My vision I believe is that everyone should exercise. It'll make you feel, look and live healthier and longer.(7 votes)
- I feel with the issues at hand that are not being taken into consideration by us the consequences will be devastating to humanity's existence, and due to our lack of intrest it will be somewhat of a surprise to those that aren't educated about this problem. In 100 years we will have barely made it to that point if we even do because the biosphere is becoming weaker every decade im sure with all this pollution and the earths alterations come with an effect even if it does accommodate us its deteriorating the ozone and the land aswell as the land. My views have personally changed as far as my interest in being apart of the solution for earths longevity consideration.(3 votes)
- I choose pollution.
1. Pollution is a big problem for our world. It destroys our water sources, kills our trees, and damages our air.
2. I think in 100 years pollution will affect the world by limiting our resources until we possibly have such a limited amount that many off the population may die off and we will lose even more species.
3. My vision of the future has changed since unit 1 because I now know more about the worlds and humans past, this changes my views because I can see how past decisions have changed now. And how things that have went wrong from people making the wrong decisions and how things have gone right from the right decisions.(3 votes)
- One of the major problems afflicting the Earth is the instability of our current activities (i.e. strain on natural resources/overpopulation). In the future, if this problem is not resolved, we could be looking at a major breakdown in the ways of life of not only ourselves but our species around us. Due to the oil shortages, people would scrap their cars and be forced to stay in the towns they worked in, leading to major employment crises in some areas and need for more workers in some areas. Networks would be halted for a more nationalistic view of society, which would be controlled by extremist parties. Society would be forced the hard way to examine itself and its policies, potentially leading to a massive crisis regarding inflation and economics. If this were to go on, cities may very well be abandoned, and a nomadic return to pre-agriculture may happen.(1 vote)
- the world in the future would create more landmass or use our land creatively instead of abortion or birth control we can maybe domes under the ocean or like artificial planets. This might sound like sci fiction but the last century itself was sci fi practically . To conserve energy i think the best opportunity is to have the government make a larger effort by in 4 years to focus all work on electric and powered devices so much to the fact that there is no need for gasoline or other nonrenewable products. The United Nations should also put a ban on bombs and missiles for 4 years with an override button to activate the weapon if needed which can only used if every leader in the world presses a special button within 2 minutes. Every other military can be in use so people don't loose jobs. Doing this would give a large boost in money for the country to make the world cleaner air wise . After that lots of people will loose jobs from the gas industry but these people will be given a substantial amount of money before they get a job or these people can get jobs that help clean the environment is in such bad shape that lots of people in poverty can earn money as well. The government would need to hire these people and give them a decent salary. There also need to be special people who clean the ocean i am not sure how they will do it but people can devise a plan by then. Back in history when people started seeing themselves as entire countries instead of cities people got stronger. Just like that people need to realize themselves as the people of Earth instead for Example Uganda(0 votes)
- I would say that the biggest problem we are currently facing would have to be global warming. As the earth temperature rises due to humans effects on the biosphere we see a change in atmospheric Tempratures a rise in sea level and an increase in natural disasters and a decrease in the availability of resources. Where the climate would once go back and forth between ice ages and moderate Tempratures similar to the beginning of the Holocene era human impact on the biosphere could end this cycle or bring it to a climax where the earth gets so hot it actually forces into a natural disaster that could end our species.(0 votes)
- I believe global warming is out biggest problem in the world today. People are not conserving energy like we are supposed to. If we do not start changing now I believe, in 100 years humans may or may not be alive. We have to take care of our planet and figure out a way together to come up with an idea that will help us save energy and use clean sufficient energy and conserve our forests.(0 votes)
- My question was about how weather and climate works. I need to know how the atmosphere effects the weather. about the suns energy.(0 votes)