Olmec mask (Olmec-style mask), c. 1200 - 400 B.C.E., jadeite, 4 x 3-3/8 x 1-1/4 inches found in offering 20 buried c. 1470 C.E. at the Aztec Templo Mayor (Museo del Templo Mayor, Mexico City)
Speakers: Dr. Lauren Kilroy-Ewbank and Dr. Steven Zucker.
Want to join the conversation?
- Do you think it's possible the Olmec's traversed to China?
I ask because, Jade was also popular in China. But what I find more interesting is- I was watching a documentary on ancient Egypt, and found it interesting they said traces of coca plant alkaloids were found in the stomachs of pharaohs.
My thought was maybe Olmec's and China met via travel by Pacific ocean, and exchanged cultures, alas the sharing of Jade, which isn't common in many other cultures that I know of (maybe India?). Further I wonder if Egypt had trade ties with China, after all, it's not so hard to imagine a trade route from Egypt to China, or India.
So, thoughts on whether the Olmecs by mere presence of Jade in both cultures ? were ever in contact ?
I also forgot - obsidian was used by Egyptians in medicine, in Ancient Greece it was illegal to 'cut' the body in medicine, so Cairo is where Greeks went, Plotinus makes reference to this. So here we have Obsidian in Egypt AND with Olmecs and presence of coca alkaloids. I'm thinking Olmec's brought coca.
I also forgot - the pyramids too- here you have this in Egypt and Olmecs as well. There just has to be a link or establish trade route on the Pacific - yes? no?(13 votes)
- Yes Egypt had trade ties with China, there is evidence that they have had some of the oldest international trade ties in history. They traded by sea way before the Europeans ever made it to America because of Chinese and African boating technologies and long established trade routes. The Chinese had trade ties with not only the Egyptians but many other African tribes on the Eastern coast of Africa and modern day middle east.(10 votes)
- I'm wondering also of the Toltecs and, I think Zapotecs...Did they precede the Olmecs? I can't remember.(3 votes)
- No, the Olmecs were the "mother culture" of Mesoamerica. They preceded the Toltecs, Zapotecs, and all of the others.(3 votes)
- What was the mask made out of(2 votes)
- On2:12what are the faces made of?(0 votes)
- Did anyone else notice the 2 pieces of shiny stone/metal coming out of the top sides of the Olmec mask?(1 vote)
- In the description at the bottom of the video, it says what Olmecs were known as rubber people. Why are the Olmecs known as rubber people?(1 vote)
- Maybe they were known to harvest rubber and use it to waterproof things like pots and roofs?(1 vote)
- why did they have specific spots to bury stuff?(1 vote)
- Communities bury their stuff (whether chewed pig bones, fruit peels, old pottery or dead ancestors) in specific spots. The Olmec were just following a standard pattern.(1 vote)