- Why You Don't Like Art History
- Cultural heritage “in Crisis”
- How Climate Changes Art
- The $150,000 Banana
- Art about Migration
- What Art tells us about Gender
- Should Art Be Publicly Funded?
- Why Do Corporations Buy Art?
- What Does Resistance Look Like?
- The Case for Copying
- The Case For Nudity
- Trending Artists
- Behind the Banksy Stunt
The $150,000 Banana
Artist Maurizio Cattelan duct taped a banana to a wall, titled it "Comedian", and sold 5 editions of the artwork for as much as $150,000 each. Why did it capture our attention, curiosity, and memes? What does it mean? And download the PBS Video App today!: https://www.pbs.org/pbs-video-app/ #banana #comedian #art Thanks to our Grandmasters of the Arts Tyler Calvert-Thompson, David Golden, and Ernest Wolfe, and all of our patrons, especially Rich Clarey, Iain Eudaily, Frame Monster Design Laboratory, Patrick Hanna, Nichole Hicks, Andrew Huynh, Eve Leonard, David Moore, Gabriel Civita Ramirez, Constance Urist, Nicholas Xu, and Roberta Zaphiriou. To support our channel, visit: http://www.patreon.com/artassignment. Subscribe for new episodes of The Art Assignment every other Thursday, and follow us elsewhere for the full Art Assignment experience: Twitter: http://twitter.com/artassignment Instagram: http://instagram.com/theartassignment/ Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/artassignmentextracredit. Created by Smarthistory.
Want to join the conversation?
- how are people so stupid to buy a cringe taped banana(12 votes)
- lol yeah XD who ever buy that me: bruh why whould you DO THAT YOU COLUD DONATE TO THE GUY WHO MAKES crooten beat box battles he needs the moeny and sorry for bad grammer(9 votes)
- I just searched up memes ;-; and this showed up.(6 votes)
- Who is here because they searched up "memes"?(6 votes)
- There are likely some people here for that reason. I hope they stick around and learn something about art history.(0 votes)
- If people are gullible enough to buy this, with the 'artist' laughing up their sleeve, all well and good. It's when tax-payers' money is frittered on this kind of thing that irritates me.(4 votes)
- The government doesn't spend taxpayer money on modern art.(1 vote)
- tape banana Tanana(2 votes)
- Have people done this same thing to other fruits?(2 votes)
- Yes, they do it with many things. For example, a blank canvas or even a song with no sound in it. It is safe to assume someone has done this with something such as an apple.(1 vote)
- LOL look close at the backround its hilaririous Its a dumb bannana xD(1 vote)
- The banana may appear to you to have been dumb, but I wager it was tasty.(1 vote)
- The real question is, who actually bought that banana duct-taped to a wall. To be honest it is really stupid to buy such a useless piece of art. When I first saw this video I was at first amazed but now I am now clueless about why people actually thought this was amazing. Now I am just ashamed of how much I have written but in the end. banan(1 vote)
- The three buyers who collectively spent about $390,000 on the taped fruit had bought the concept of the piece, which comes with a certificate of authenticity from the artist, along with installation instructions. It is up to the owners to secure their own materials from hardware and grocery stores, and to replace the banana, if they wish, whenever it rots. After Mr. Datuna consumed the banana, the gallery taped another one to the wall.
Two “artist proofs” (extra prints signed as part of a limited edition) were sold to unidentified museums.(1 vote)
- Plot twist the banana was the worlds best bitcoin miner ready to be sold(1 vote)