5th grade reading & vocabulary
Welcome to the Inventing Progress unit!
A clear lightbulb with its filament glowing brightly against a light background.
The history of technology is, in many ways, a story of brilliant inventors and their world-changing inventions. But inventing isn't just about coming up with a great idea: there's also the matter of bringing that idea to life and taking care of the business side of things. On top of that, an inventory needs to prevent other people from stealing their valuable ideas! Technological progress is a result of hard work, trial and error, and, sometimes, lucky accidents. But it's the stories of famed rivalries and advantageous partnerships that seem to catch our attention.
In this unit, you will:
- Learn about some inventors and important inventions from history
- Consider how competition and cooperation have affected inventions
- Read stories about young inventors, their creations, and their adventures
- Watching videos to help you understand what good readers and writers do
- Reading and answering questions about literary and informational texts
- Learning new academic words
In order to answer the essential question: What drives innovation more: competition or cooperation?
Want to join the conversation?
- Why don't a lot of people become engineers?(8 votes)
- It's a hard and complicated job, man. If you ever become an engineer, congrats to you. You pull off what most don't.(12 votes)
- How was the light bulb made.(2 votes)
- This is what I found:
A light bulb is made when metal filament is heated to the point at which the wire glows. The most well-known type of light bulb is the incandescent light bulb, which is the version used in most homes.
- who is the person who invented the lightbulb's family?(5 votes)
- why did they invent the lightbulb(1 vote)
- They Invented the lightbulb because In the old days candles and lanterns were the only light source and to make use of the energy around us they made lightbulbs.(6 votes)
- it's a hard and complicated job, man. If you ever become an engineer, congrats to you. You pull off what most don't.(3 votes)
- geez y'all r really a bunch of debbie downers learn to have a heart.(3 votes)
- how invented t.v.(3 votes)
- The waffle house has found its new host(1 vote)
- I dont want to read i am going to cry(3 votes)
- is becoming a engineer give you a lot of money?(3 votes)
- I an IRON-MAN(3 votes)