Pixar in a Box
Activity 2: Shape
monsters inc image
Part A: Study the above image for a few minutes.
- Can you locate the main shapes in this image?
- How does shape influence where you look and what meaning and emotion is conveyed?
Part B: Find a frame from one of your three favorite films. Notice how shapes are used.
- What are the unique characteristics that help establish the mood and story?
- On a piece of paper, draw the composition using the simple shapes. Feel free to overlay each frame and trace on top of it with a highlighter.
Part C: For your own story, identify the main shape for your main character(s).
- What does the shape of the character imply?
- Does their shape change over time?
- Put this character in a scene from your story and try sketching out the composition using simple shapes.
Want to join the conversation?
- Boo's head is more of a circle, which means friendly, but her pigtails and arms give her a pointy feel. This pretty much shows that even though the 2 monsters are afraid of her, she isn't meant to be feared.(30 votes)
- i think this is correct because she's just a little kid.(16 votes)
- Part B, let's see if I got this right. The movie is Die Hard and it's the last famous scene. At the beginning John arrives and it's all squares and boxes. This should show that it's not being dumb. He has a solid plan. Also Hans is enclosed in boxes. He's also determined and knows what it's doing.
Also the scene that it shows john from below. He's pretty rectangular and also he cast a bigger version of himself. A bigger darker rectangular silhouette: we know this guy it's not fooling around.
Then John goes for the famouse part where he has the gun taped on his back. He put his hand on his heads an bam! We have two triangles: we know that something is going to happen.
Am I right?(13 votes)
- Sully:Furry,holding a shield,Has a strainer on his head
Mike:Smooth,round,has oven gloves and house units on him
They are scared of little Boo and they're not scary!
Boo's shadow: Her pig tails are pointing up and look like horns,she is waving her arms in the air.
The two windows behind them make her look bigger and scary to them(12 votes)
- Mike has a circle shape which makes u think that he is the underdog with a clever mind.,
And Sullivann has a recangle shape which is more stable tells us that he isnt as afraid as mike nd u can always rely on.But if u look more carefully ,the shadow of Boo is much bigger than Sully nd mike.Nd the BLACK COLOUR given to her shadow tells us that she is going to hurt them.I dont know whether u guys noticed this thing, but the shadow is appeared between sully and mike nd it gives u an idea that she is vulnerable and is targeting both sully nd Mike.....
lemme know what u think bout that.(8 votes)
- So i draw triangles and rectangles? I AM CONFUSED(4 votes)
- mike is a circle and the big blue monster is a rectangle and the little kid is a shadow.(3 votes)
- Part A: (A) Mike has a circle, Sullivan is a rectangle, Boo is a circle and square. (B) Mike looks more cute, when Sullivan looks more intimating
Part B: (A) From "Rise of The Guardians" Jack had a very playful yet irresponsible character witch helped the mood of the movie. (B) Jack was more like a rectangle to me(3 votes)
- Part A
Mike, Sully, Girl
The unique characteristics are
Going back in time to save everyone
Snapping a finger and thousands of people disappeared
And the mood varies on how the ending has gone(3 votes)
- Mike is a circle
sully is a square and a rectangle
Boo is a circle and a rectangle(3 votes)
- 1.) I want to say circle because the "shield" that Sully has, Boo's shadow head, and Mike's body is a circle.
They look scared.
2.) Sully and Mike have very scared faces and boo's shadow is bigger than them, so it represents that they are scared of her.(3 votes)