Pixar in a Box
Activity 1: Lines
Part A: How is line used to convey meaning and emotion within the frame below? Can you identify the primary direction of lines that direct your eyes to different parts of the frame?
A scene from the Pixar film "Up" with four characters on a cliff: a bird, a boy, a dog, and an old man.
Part B: On a blank sheet of paper write down two different feelings that you’ve had recently (one at the bottom left, and the other at the bottom right). Visually represent the feeling on the left as a line traveling across the paper to the right. Then transform the line as it starts to take on characteristics of the feeling on the right. For example:
An illustration of a line that starts off thin and wiggly on the left and then gets thicker and straighter as it moves to the right. The left is labeled "Afraid" and the right is labeled "Confident".
Part C: Create a character with just one line and give it a name and short description. Try creating additional characters using multiple lines.
An illustration of three lines: a loopy blue line, a straight thick yellow line, and a pink arc.
Want to join the conversation?
- PART A: As someone in the comments has already said, I think the mountains symbolize that Carl is separate from Russel and Doug. Where the waterfall is acts as a barrier. If you look at Russel and Doug, you notice that they are bright and happy, where as Carl is sad and lonely. The separation also signifies that he is having trouble making friends.(36 votes)
- Both the dog and the boy are round, rotund circles; well fed and happy and looking forward to what's next in the day. The waterfall and cliff edge are directly vertical drops warning to be wary of danger nearby; don't fall. The old man is a rectangular solid old rock as rigid as the cliff behind.(23 votes)
- when i grow up i want to be a line...enyone els?(37 votes)
- yeah bro sounds like a lot of fun(8 votes)
- how long does it take to make these?(11 votes)
- Actually, you are the only one who decides how long does it takes. You can simply make a random line and create an imaginary story for it just to get out of the way, and it can be your character; or you can take enough time to understand the whole story behind your character and make a conscious drawing. It all depends on commitment and practice.(16 votes)
- How would compassion be put on a line?(8 votes)
- Perhaps compassion would be more rounded and smooth... wavy line maybe?(7 votes)
- Reading all these comments, it's amazing how people can see the same the from different perspectives, the beauty of art. Amazing. :)(8 votes)
- Птица - как вопросительный знак- "неизвестность, что же будет дальше", гора - прямая линия- спокойствие, заканчивается убедительно прямоугольником - фигурой старика-"всё будет ок"
Что и подтверждается центральными фигурами- кругами - радость доброта
Первое- птица с её клювом- указывает в направлении старика, что подчеркнуто линией горы.
Старик, в свою очередь, направляет нас к двум центральным фигурам- сначала к мальчику и от него к собаке. и эта линия не заканчивается, так как кроме взгляда глаза в глаза, фигуры прикасаются руками/ лапами.(6 votes)
- I feel like the rocks and mountain look more real than the characters do(6 votes)
- I haven't watched the movie is it good?(5 votes)
- how do you know if the shape portrays what you want i to(5 votes)
- I don't understand lining(4 votes)