Pixar in a Box
Part A: Beats can show the most important moments in your story. They show WHAT is happening, not HOW. Choose a format (outline form, using index cards, sketchbook, etc.) to identify and describe the beats that are part of the structure in each of your three favorite films.
Part B: Play the “Story Spine game” with a group of people. Go around in a circle and improv the development of a story. Start with “once upon a time” and have one person at a time spontaneously fill in the blank for each line.
Part C: Develop a story spine for your own film idea. Try sharing your spine with someone and iterating a few times…
Want to join the conversation?
- I'm making a story called born. if you want to hear it give me one upvote kk(108 votes)
- I'm just gonna keep basing my stuff off of one of my stories that I'm trying to work on. It's a true story, but I think I'm gonna change the names of the characters and how they look, making them my OCs instead of the real people. It's longer because there's a lot to explain. If I don't include some things, it won't make sense ^^''
Once upon a time, not really, there was a girl named Perplexity. She was a cupid, but tired of being alone. She could help everyone but herself with relationship issues.
Every day, she would go to one of her classes, band in this case, and just go through it numbly. Alone. She soon started to long for something she didn't have- love.
Until one day, a new boy came into her class. He was a percussionist like her, and when she didn't understand her part, he helped her learn how to play it. Perplexity became fond of him, always wanting to talk to him and hear his stories. She wrote him letters telling him about herself and he wrote back. His name was River.
Because of this, she fell for him. Hard. She feared that he didn't like her because she was a nerd and liked things that other people made fun of so she hid her true self.
Because of this, she changed. But in a good way, she still liked things, but she came to like new things too. She would catch River looking at her during lunch, which she loved. Perplexity became friends with his friends and got to talking with them. His best friend's girlfriend was one of her good friends now.
Because of this, Perplexity learned something. River had a crush on her too. She was nervous to go to school every day, but she was so excited. She lost a bit of sleep, but nothing that would hurt her. One day, he handed her a letter. Shyly, he walked off with his friends laughing behind him. Perplexity got on the bus and read the letter. He had asked her out!
Ever since then, Perplexity and River have been very happy together. They only have one class, band, together, but they enjoy it every day. Next year, Perplexity won't be in band, but she's going to try to be with River however she can. They love each other and their lives are so much better. Especially Perplexity, she finally got what she wanted, love.(34 votes)
- everything before the "until one day" sounds a lot like my life right now. Great story though! 👍(7 votes)
- Lets start a story spine guys!
once upon a time there was a rabbit who wanted to be the best among his siblings(17 votes)
- My story is called Elithium. If you want to hear it give me an upvote!(18 votes)
- There was once a girl called Mythika Dragonscale. Mythika was not a normal kid - she was from the invisible planet Elithium. Every Waxing Cresent Moon, Elithium would appear. Mythika didn't know of her past - she had no idea that she was an Elithium for she looked exactly like a human. But deep inside, she had supernatural powers.(7 votes)
- Here is something I'm working on :D
Once upon a time there was a thief
Every day she would go out and pick-pocket
Until one day she was caught by the royal guard
Because of that she lied to the kind and gracious queen, saying that her family was dead and she had no way to eat
Because of that the queen took pity on the girl and offered her a home at the palace
Because of that it became harder for the girl to hide her treacherous lies and secrets
Until finally the queen uncovered them all and attempted to capture the girl
there's no "ever since then" because that's just book 1
but the moral is that lies and deceit can hurt the people around you, as well as yourself
I hope it was fun to read 0w0(12 votes)
- One of my stories, the most complete and thought through of them, starts in a sort of strange place, at least in my opinion, and I'm not too sure if it's all that good. How does this sound?
Once upon a time, there was this woman named Evera, who was pulled into a realm adjacent to the one that hosts earth and the rest of our known universe, losing her memory in the process. An entire mini-story happens and leads to her working with a man named Natu to recreate things that exist on earth, but not in their realm (Tutali). She continues to help Natu every day, until one day when her talent with electronics is noticed by someone else, who Evera agrees to work for because she doesn't really trust Natu at all.
Because of this, Evera inadvertently becomes involved with a program that is working to eliminate the inhabitants of another realm that they think are dangerous, but they really aren't, and Evera & her companion from here on out, James Gray, know it.
Because of that, they do everything they can to sabotage Adam(The person who requested Evera to help with this), but he finds out.
Because of that, Adam takes action to prevent them from stopping his operation, proving without a doubt that Evera definitely made a mistake in trusting him rather than Natu.
There is no "Because of that" in this story because this is actually a prequel to another thing I made, which offers up the conclusion to this story.
The moral of the story is a combination of don't jump to conclusions, don't judge a book by its cover, and just stop for a moment and think things through before you do them, although it probably isn't clear from the key points.(11 votes)
- I'm going to make a film called cut. It all about a Ninga called Sasuke Uchia off of Naruto but twisting it up if you want to hear more about it just give a vote.(11 votes)
- I'm making a story called what if the world was not a world anymore. its about these to girls tiana and tamara who turn into robots, glitch and go to the past and future its amazing if you wanna hear it give me a upvote I'm not lying I'll be back in a week if i have at least ten upvotes I'll tell you guys my story(10 votes)
- Story Spine
Once upon a time there were three roommates that were best friends.
Every day they attended their university and always entered the contests provided hoping that they might win.
Until one day when they won a contest and got to go to the New Years event in New York, to watch the ball drop for the year 3000
Because of that they meet Jasper, a man whom they trust (with evil intentions that can control many aspects of the weather and is going to ruin the New Years celebration and destroy the city but they don't know it)
Because of that the roommates are forced to cancel their plans to try and stop him
Because of that one of the roommates makes a sacrifice and dies to save everybody
Until finally they get rid of Jasper and set the city back to normal
And ever since then, the city and everybody inside of it was safe
The moral is, don't trust strangers.(10 votes)
- YES you are right don't trust strangers if you know them yes you can talk to them and do anything with them but if you don't know them don't talk to them or do anything with them.(1 vote)
- Before I attempt this assignment I have a question, which story am I telling first? Backstory? Present Story? Villian's story? Hero's story? Of course, I have done them all on each, but I'm still lost on where my story actually begins. Can anyone help me with this?(4 votes)
- Try starting with the first exciting thing that happens to the hero to get readers into the story. Then explain what led up to this: 'Josh was so happy about finally being on the plane to Hawaii. School had been so boring lately...' . Then introduce the villain at his first exciting moment: 'It was the dead of night. Mad Mike snuck into the silent ice-cream shop...' . Carry on from there. The back story can be introduced when someone wants to know WHY: '"But why did Mad Mike want to steal all the ice-cream?" asked Josh's new girlfriend. Little did she know that Mad Mike had had an ice-cream craving ever since his granny...' etc. etc. That's one way to do it, there are others. Hope it helps!(12 votes)