Pixar in a Box
- Art of lighting overview
- Light quality
- Activity 1: Seeing light and color
- Light roles
- Activity 2: Lighting an orange (physical)
- Virtual lights
- Activity 3: Lighting an orange (virtual)
- Character Lighting
- Activity 4: Lighting a character
- Color scripts
- Activity 5: Color scripts
- Master Lighting
- Activity 6: Master lighting
- Shot lighting
- Activity 7: Shot lighting
- Getting to know Kim White
Activity 4: Lighting a character
Return to your live action set but now swap out the orange for a toy character
Now try lighting your character in at least two different ways
- Can you get them to cast a long shadow or look mysterious?
- Can you light the character to look scary?
- Can you light the character to look flat (no sharp shadows)?
If you change the color of the light on the character how does that impact your scene?
Remember to take pictures so that you can compare how your character looks under your various lighting setups. Give your images a name.
Optional idea: Try taking your set outside and looking at it in the sunlight. Try rotating your set to get the sun to come in from different directions. Observe how those various sun positions affect your character.
Want to join the conversation?
- Does anyone use this for like video/photo editing in like school projects or YouTube?(15 votes)
- Totally. Famous youtubers had to learn the basics of lighting so that they could improve their images on their videos. Otherwise, they would look very flat and not very interesting to look at.(8 votes)
- I used one of my LEGO figures with this and, honestly, the results were nothing short of stellar, a downward angle towards the wall can give you that mysterious yet flat look if you use a mostly grey figure(8 votes)
- Is that a Disney infinity figure?(8 votes)
- Can you put an evil figure like the Underminer into a soft and smooth lighting to make him look like a good person?(7 votes)
- Yes, that is possible but expressions,habit,manners etc.
tell if he/she is evil, connerking2(3 votes)
- Can you get them to cast a long shadow or look mysterious?(8 votes)
- it might work to lightit from underneath?(0 votes)
- I can use the light on Finn McMissle from Cars 2.(7 votes)
- it should be able to post images here..(4 votes)
- can we make a figure which looks mysterious and flat?(4 votes)
- Sorry, bit of a long question, but i haven't seen the film so i was wondering if someone could tell me a (brief)storyline of CoCo?
Sorry the video got me interested.:)(3 votes)
- THe main character loves music and goes into the spirit world expecting to find who he thinks is his grand father, who was a famous musician. He meets a man who helps him get where he needs to go. When he meets this musician, he finds out that he was a fraud. he didn't write his music he stole it. In the end he does find his grandfather. but I am going to leave who it is a suprise.(1 vote)
- can us kids make that on our self(2 votes)