Hour of Code
- Welcome to our Hour of Code™!
- Learning coding on Khan Academy
- Making drawings with code
- Quick tip: number scrubbing
- Challenge: Simple snowman
- Drawing more shapes with code
- Challenge: Waving snowman
- Coloring with code
- Quick tip: color picking
- Challenge: Sunny snowy day
- Quick tip: Use the docs!
- Pick a drawing project!
- Project: Super snowman
- Project: Wild animal
- Project: Self portrait
- Code beyond the hour
Learning coding on Khan Academy
Here's a quick run-down of how you can learn coding on Khan Academy:
- Learn new concepts using a talk-through, which is like a video but more interactive.
- Do step-by-step challenges to practice newly learned concepts.
- Finally, work on a project where you can get more practice and be more creative with the skills you've learned.
You don't need to download anything because the coding editor is embedded right here in the website. You'll see it used in the talk-through and use it yourself in the challenge.
Now it's time for the first talk-through; just click the next link in the sidebar!
Want to join the conversation?
- why was coding invented(1191 votes)
- Computers don't speak the same language as you and me - they are machines and the original computers operated with a set of switches that were either on or off (binary). Coding is a way of bridging the gap between how computers operate and how humans think. It's just enough words that they, hopefully, make sense to us, and that set of instructions, or code, is then compiled into something the machine can understand (as long as we wrote it correctly).(1236 votes)
- Who invented the idea of computer coding?(102 votes)
- In 1954, language FORTRAN was invented at IBM by a team led by John Backus; it was the first widely used high level general purpose programming language to have a functional implementation, as opposed to just a design on paper.(102 votes)
- what exactly is coding(35 votes)
- Coding is a computer language ( just like a language that you and me speak.)it is used to talk in computer, even this website where we are learning how to code ( khan academy) was also made by a type of coding ( I believe HTML). computers are so interesting this way where you can write a line and you will not believe your eyes!(15 votes)
- what do we code(21 votes)
- Put simply, Coding is the a method of communicating with a computer. Coding allows us to create things such as computer software, websites, apps and video games. There are various types of different code, depending on what you want to develop. And different “programming languages” that each have their own set of rules.(34 votes)
- Does the coding we are learning help in more than just making and editing images, such as working with or around programs, documents, and directories?(33 votes)
- What is the hardest thing to code?(22 votes)
- I would say making a video game or a website.(20 votes)
- why dont we make coding language same as human language?it is much easier to learn.(25 votes)
- At this point in time, it would be much harder to make computers speak our language than simply have humans learn theirs.(34 votes)
- Is this going to be difficult?(23 votes)
- it can be difficult, but you should still keep trying. besides, once you get the hang of coding, it will start to be fun!(20 votes)
- Who was 1st person to make game out of code?(26 votes)
- In October 1958, Physicist William Higinbotham created what is thought to be the first video game. It was a very simple tennis game, similar to the classic 1970s video game Pong, and it was quite a hit at a Brookhaven National Laboratory open house.(19 votes)
- What do people use coding for?(10 votes)
- You can make many things from games to caculaters to viruses (Don't use it for that. My brother sets them on us all the time) to doing simple useful things with it. Programing can be used to make robots to computers. anytime you're on technolegy somebody has done programing to get you there(18 votes)