Learn: The growth mindset
The growth mindset
In part 1 of this activity, Sam and Mia showcased different mindsets and strategies when learning a difficult concept in math.
A professor at Stanford has been observing students like Sam and Mia from all walks of life learn for years. As part of that work, she developed the idea of growth mindset and fixed mindset.
This researcher’s name is Carol Dweck. She has challenged the common belief that intelligent people are born smart; instead, this is what she found:
Let’s breakdown what Carol Dweck said in the video.
The growth mindset is the belief that you can grow your brain and that your intelligence grows with effort.
“The growth mindset allows people to value what they’re doing regardless of the outcome.”
A fixed mindset is the belief that you are born a certain way and cannot change.
“In the fixed mindset, everything is about the outcome. If you fail—or if you’re not the best—it’s all been wasted.”
Growth mindset vs. fixed mindset
Singer and songwriter John Legend has a strong growth mindset.
Which voice will you hear?
It’s normal to have both a fixed mindset and a growth mindset talking to us and competing for our attention.
Sometimes we listen to our growth mindset. We say to ourselves, “You can do this!” and think, “I’m not giving up!”
Growth mindset vs. fixed mindset
Other times, our fixed mindset shows up. It might be triggered by a mistake, a failure, or criticism from someone.
Our fixed mindset voice says things like, “I'll never be good at this.”
How do we start to challenge our fixed mindset voice so that we can adopt a growth mindset?
We can use both our language and our actions!
We can use our language.
We can use our language to combat the negative self talk that comes with a fixed mindset.
1. The power of yet: Add yet at the end of your fixed mindset statements.
Example: “I can’t do this.” → “I can’t do this YET!”
2. Say stop: When your fixed mindset voice is getting out of hand, tell yourself to stop and clear your mind before continuing.
3. You instead of I: It’s easier to pump yourself up and give yourself crucial advice using the word you instead of I.
Example: "I got this." → "YOU got this!"
We can use our actions!
We can also use our actions to conquer the fixed mindset when it shows up.
1. Ask for help. Let your teacher know that you are struggling so that they can put you back on the right path.
Ask for help.
2. Make a study group. Talk and work together with different study strategies.
3. Revisit your mistakes. Look at your mistakes, and review what you did wrong. This will help you avoid making the same mistake again later.
Revisit your mistakes.
You have completed part 2 of 3 for this activity: Learn!
Want to join the conversation?
- 1.- Sam's fixed mindset didn't helper him when the material got harder because he thought that if he wasn't good for something he wasn't gonna be good at all.
2.-John told that his mindset held him back from succeeding because of hi thoughts of not being a math person.
3.-Something I struggle is on sports, and what helps me keep going... nah I don't play because of a pain on my chest .(8 votes)
- John's mindset help him the song writer and singer by constantly practicing.(7 votes)
- Sam's fixed mindset prevented him from succeeding when the material got harder by giving up and not believing in himself. John Legend's respond to struggling to get a record deal is to turn the negatives into a positive and to never give up and keep trying even when you think you are failing. Something I have been struggling with lately is memorizing 40 vocal words for English class. When I give up and think I will never memorize them I think that if I study at least 10-15 minutes a day I will get better and memorize at least a third of them. What keeps me going is getting good grades and knowing if I go to college I can get a carrier I will enjoy and not something I have to do everyday.(7 votes)
- i struggle with a lot sometime but i just dont wanna ask for help when everyone else knows it(6 votes)
- Asking for help is one of the only ways to success, and good other people knows what to do! They can help you improve a lot. So, don't be afraid to ask for help! :)(0 votes)
- Try harder than you do normally do it expands you and makes you stronger(5 votes)
- what did you have for breakfast(5 votes)
- I have milk and coconut pie for breakfast.(2 votes)
- Sam was struggling throughout with life. Become Sam was famous he didn't know he could get better at things because he was so talented in singing. He said as he looked back he wasn't doing things correctly and now he stuided and had a vocal coach to get better. You can get better at things and grow.(4 votes)
- I would struggle with history It's like I understand the concept and all just that It is hard just to stay still and read a book and just do nothing it is hard for me not to move around so much.I would tell myself don't fail think about the grade you would get and when your mama is going to see it.she would not be happy with that.And neither do I.The thing that keeps me going is my mama(3 votes)
- A skill that I know now that I did not know when I was born is how to interact with people and control certain emotions.(3 votes)
- 1. Sams fixed mindset prevented to do greater things, because he decided that he was the smartest in the class and he didn't do anything to get better. He made a statement and stuck with it even if it was wrong.
2. John Legend got rejected by several different record deals from 1998-2004, but that did not stop him from stopping. John Legend has a fixed mindset because he kept trying and did not get discouraged.
3. I have struggled a lot with focusing on my work and managing my time. This is a struggle for me because i have the mindset that nothing will happen if i don't do it, and it'll get done eventually. but what i actually end up doing is pilling the work on top of myself and drowning last minute. I usually tell myself that if i do not get my things done on time, that i will not succeed in life and i will not get anywhere. My parents keep me going because of their expectations and how afraid i am to let them down, or disappoint them.(3 votes)