Mistakes can be good if we learn from them!
Learning from mistakes
Did you flinch when you read the word? Maybe just a little bit? Mistakes are a natural part of the learning process, and how we react to them can be either harmful or helpful.
When Thinky Pinky thinks in a growth mindset, he remembers that mistakes are a normal part of the learning process. When he makes mistakes, he often gets excited because the mistake is a hint about what he needs to learn to get smarter.
Picture your brain as a puzzle. Mistakes are the gaps where puzzle pieces are missing.
By reflecting on and investigating your mistakes, you can complete your puzzle and continue learning.
Thinky Pinky missing puzzle piece
Don’t give up on completing the puzzle. If we don’t pay attention to our mistakes, we’re much more likely to repeat them, which slows down the learning process and progress toward our goals.
Thinky Pinky with all puzzle pieces
Also, sometimes the concepts we are learning in school are just plain difficult and we need to try and fail a few times before we finally get it right.
Let’s hear what some students have to say about mistakes.
Khan Academy video wrapper
LearnStorm Growth Mindset: Ceiba Prep Students on mistakesSee video transcript
Want to join the conversation?
- i have no arms my teacher typed this(22 votes)
- That sucks.😼(1 vote)
- If i did one mistake then How can I change that mistake(9 votes)
- I can change it by remembering what it was.(14 votes)
- So our brain is like a puzzle and were trying to put it together by finding out what our mistakes are from and putting the puzzle together by fixing our mistakes?(7 votes)
- Yes our brains are like a puzzle. We can all fix our mistakes and learn from them.(6 votes)
- What if you never learn from mistakes?(5 votes)
- Hey Isabelle!
If you're having a hard time learning from your mistakes. Try thinking about the decisions you made that might've not turned out that great. If you can identify what went wrong, you can find out how to avoid making those same mistakes in the future.
Hope this helps!(7 votes)
- How come when I make a mistake my parents hold it against me?(7 votes)
- WE make mistakes because your don't know the answer or you can over think a problem to long an get it wrong. So we learn to slow down and remember what caused the mistake.(5 votes)
- I actually do lots of mistakes and i learned from them by not forgetting it and practicing just like the girl said it i think it was her name sophia. but yeah you can learn from your mistakes :)(3 votes)
- If we are doing mistakes at the last stage. For ex: at the last year of 10 class ,so will it a good thing or not?(3 votes)
- when you make mistakes its fine and just dont give up.(3 votes)
- i have no thinky pinky help(4 votes)