Learn what you should look out for while browsing the internet, along with some specific steps that you can take to stay safe and secure. To learn more about how you can keep yourself safe while on the Internet, visit: internet-safety.khanacademy.org. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- A lot of games ask for my location why does it want to know my location, and is it good that I say no?(9 votes)
- This depends on the game. Some games may use your location for advertising purposes, while others may need your location to provide a critical part of the game (such as Pokemon Go).
- i just got a notification that google wants to know my location and i said block did i make the right choice ?(6 votes)
- Depends on what site you are using. If you think what you want search needs your location, then you can click "Allow Once" or "Allow". If you think there is no reason why the site needs your location. You can block it.(4 votes)
- What is Phishing?(3 votes)
- Phishing is when a scammer and/or hacker poses as someone they aren't to get personal identifiable information. (PII) Hope this helped!(6 votes)
- *what can someone do with my device location? If I am not a criminal, why should I be afraid of giving my my location info?*(4 votes)
- Your location can be used for many things. For example, allowing a video game to access your device location might improve your regional preferences, but they can also sell it to other companies or video games that'll use it too.(1 vote)
- you should not put your stuff on the internet(1 vote)
- my roblox password got leaked on the dark web what do i do?(3 votes)
- Delete the acount and create a new one.If there is robux in the account then use all of it straight away.(2 votes)
- Is Phishing worse than hacking?(2 votes)
- The Webster's Dictionary defines phishing as "the practice of tricking Internet users (as through the use of deceptive email messages or websites) into revealing personal or confidential information which can then be used illicitly." It is therefore a technique of social engineering (human hacking) so requires little technical knowledge and could be argued both ways.(3 votes)
- What is crypto mining?(3 votes)
- The specifics of crypto mining are far beyond the scope of this course but put simply, crypto mining is a process used to validate the transactions in a blockchain. During this process, new digital "coins" (such as Bitcoin) can be created, which provide value to those doing the mining.
This process takes a lot of time and computing power, so hackers trick people into downloading malicious software that allows the hacker to perform mining tasks on their behalf using the victim's computing power.
You can learn more here: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bitcoin-mining.asp(1 vote)
- If my computer gets hot and slow should I turn it off so the bad guys cant hack or do I run a antivirus scan or what do I do.(2 votes)
- Run an antivirus scan regularly. My computer has never been hacked so I think you should run a scan each day.(3 votes)
- Hi, everyone. Sal Khan here from Khan Academy, and I'm excited to talk a little bit about safe browsing. Our guest today is Kelly Hope Harrington, who's a Senior Staff Software Engineer at Google. Kelly, welcome. - Thank you. Happy to be here. - So safe browsing, my sense of browser, we, you go to some websites, it sends up some webpages. What's the worst that can happen? - Oh, well there, there's all sorts of bad things that can happen on the internet, and I think some of the ones that are come to mind first are things like phishing or social engineering. So someone is trying to trick you into thinking they're someone you trust. So you share either your personal information like your password or your credit card information, or maybe you do something that you wouldn't otherwise do because you trust them. And that could be something like downloading, installing malware. So, malware is something that will take over your computer. The attacker is trying to do something to get value out of you. So, maybe they want to take some of your personal data and sell it on the dark web. Maybe they want to do ransomware where they lock down your computer and won't let you use it until you pay them money. Or maybe they wanna do something sneakier and do crypto mining in the background so your computer gets hot and slow while that's happening. We also see unwanted software. So, unwanted software might have something that you do value but also does something else. - Yeah, so I just wanna make sure I understand this 'cause we talk in other videos about phishing where someone pretends to send you an emergency letter from a bank or whatever, and many of those phishing attacks usually try to get you to some type of a website. And this is where, once again, you're browsing now. You need to make sure that that's actually the website that you think it is. - Yeah, yeah. You know, I think that the attackers know you're looking for stuff, so they're trying to take advantage of you're already naturally trying to go and download something, and that is their opportunity to try and trick you, and try and get you to do something that you weren't otherwise gonna do. - Super helpful.