- Writing a strong college admissions essay
- Avoiding common admissions essay mistakes
- Brainstorming tips for your college essay
- How formal should the tone of your college essay be?
- Taking your college essay to the next level
- Sample essay 1 with admissions feedback
- Sample essay 2 with admissions feedback
- Student story: Admissions essay about a formative experience
- Student story: Admissions essay about personal identity
- Student story: Admissions essay about community impact
- Student story: Admissions essay about a past mistake
- Student story: Admissions essay about a meaningful poem
- Writing tips and techniques for your college essay
Student story: Admissions essay about a formative experience
Want to join the conversation?
- I've read few essays on this topic and I feel somewhat uncomfortable with what I've written after looking at these. I believe that what I've written did help me become the person I am today. I've also vividly described about my personality before the experience. Yet, my essay focuses more on the effect of that experience and how it changed me from what I was before.
Am I going wrong somewhere?
I highly appreciate any form of help here.(3 votes)
- Do you think an adult age 59 would have to write college essay as the teens do?.(1 vote)
- I wrote about our family trip to visit Cambodia, where my parents are from. I talked about visiting the landfill there. At that landfill, there were dozens of families scattered all over the landfill scavenging for pickings and stuff like that so I talked about that. I talked about how it made me realize my parents sacrificed a lot. It made me realize what it's like in Cambodia and how fortunate I am to be in the position I am where I can go to college. I talked about how they helped me and they inspired me and they gave me all these opportunities. I talked about what I do at college and how I wanted to make the most of what I was given because it was a gift for me to be able to grow up in America and go to college. I decided, "You know what? "I'm gonna write about what I feel is true and what I feel the most strongly about." That was it and I guess the colleges liked me because I got every one of them, every one that I had to submit an essay to accepted me for it.