2012-08-28 23:07:13 GMT
We had a fabulous group of campers with us at this summer’s Khan Academy Discovery Lab! Campers enjoyed 2 weeks filled with projects, activities, simulations and games with our Khan Academy team and enthusiastic student counselors.
Want to know more about what they did? Check these pictures and videos out:
Making robots. It was amazing to see the fabulous robots that everyone made in less than 2 days!
Reverse engineering. All it took was lots of enthusiastic engineering minds and a little bit of staff support. In the video below, Vannesa, Melvin and Greta walk us through the fax machine that they took apart as their final project.
More robots :-). Here’s Arshia with her PAKbot during her final presentation - check out what it does!
- Dancing Androids: http://www.khanacademy.org/cs/androids/887975589
- Tweety Bird and cat: http://www.khanacademy.org/cs/tweety-bird/919637394
- Brickbreaker (with 3 levels): http://www.khanacademy.org/cs/brickbreaker2/956513055
- Amusement Park theme (gondolas, roller coasters, ferris wheel and drop tower) : http://www.khanacademy.org/cs/sanam-gondolas/989603673, http://www.khanacademy.org/cs/devil-drop-tower/953910208, http://www.khanacademy.org/cs/maya-ferris-wheel/989642598, http://www.khanacademy.org/cs/sienna-roller-coaster/989699068
We hope you enjoyed this sample of the many great projects our campers created. If you would like to be kept in the loop for future summer activities, please join our Discovery Lab interest list. We are so very proud of all our campers, and we wish them a great start to the new school year!
2012-07-31 04:46:00 GMT
Khan Academy is having lots of fun at the Discovery Lab. Here is some footage of Sal running a trading simulation at the camp (video courtesy of NY Times).
2012-07-13 01:13:00 GMT
We are having a blast with the kids at our summer camp (Khan Academy Discovery Lab). Our fantastic campers spent the last two weeks exploring hands-on activities in multiple areas across math, statistics, economics, engineering, robotics, computer science, art and more.
The program included:
1) Creating a GIANT Sierpinski’s tetrahedron out of balloons. If you have 20+ enthusiastic campers, you can quickly make many tetrahedra and string them together into an awesome mathematical masterpiece. Tetrahedra can also be stylish hats (as modeled below).
2) Learning probability and statistics through games and simulations. Campers quickly realized that doing some basic calculations vastly improved their chances of winning…
3) Exploring basic engineering concepts by building structures with simple materials (spaghetti and marshmallows). While it was tempting to eat the marshmallows, most campers quickly decided that it was better to use them as binding agents.
4) Creating and programming robots and exploring different types of sensors. For example, one group created a robot that played “Ode to Joy” with water cups, accompanied by its very own robotic ultrasonic guitar.
5) Learning Computer Science. Our campers coded and designed their own animations (see bouncing Androids below).
We were delighted to have our campers with us, and we wish them a wonderful rest of the summer. One session down, two more to go!