While Khan Academy makes it easy for a teacher to add an entire class of students, if you are looking add your entire school or district quickly, you may want to consider Clever.
What is Clever?
Clever is a free and FERPA-compliant way to sync student rosters from your Student Information System to Google Apps. It’s used by over 20,000 schools and districts, including Houston ISD, Miami-Dade, Broward County, and Oakland USD.
How does Clever work?
Clever securely connects with your SIS and synchronizes rosters for you automatically. Clever offers both “pull” (credentials-based) and “push” (SFTP) syncing.
- Emmett School District serves about 3,000 students in western Idaho.
- In 2013, the district decided to implement Khan Academy.
- Peter Pawlick, the district’s Technology Integration Specialist, used Clever to set up a direct sync between his SIS (Infinite Campus) and Google Apps.
- Clever automatically created Google accounts for all his students, and students used these Google accounts to access Khan Academy.
- Clever also used roster information from Infinite Campus to automatically set up coach relationships between students and teachers in Khan Academy.
- Teachers logged in to Khan Academy with their Google accounts to coach their students.
- Whenever a student enrolled, disenrolled, or changed classes, Clever updated the student’s Google accounts and coach relationships accordingly.
Does Clever Support My SIS?
Clever supports many major SISs, including the following:
- Inﬁnite Campus
- STI iNOW